| City of Miami, evening |
| Miami Beach, evening |
"Miami, Miami, you’ve got style . . . blue skies, sunshine,
white sand by the mile." Yes, I did
just quote lyrics from the song that Dorothy and Rose wrote in season two of THE
GOLDEN GIRLS. And I have no
problem admitting my adoration for those gals!
Today we are in the Port of Miami. It is a bit odd, as, when I lived in Miami Beach, starting
in 2003, and I worked in downtown Miami, I traveled the MacArthur Causeway
daily (well, Monday through Friday) and passed the docked ships. And, from my favorite hangout at 12th
Street and Ocean Drive (on the beach), I often watched ships set sail,
wondering what it was like to be a passenger, much less a crew member. So, to be looking at the City of Miami,
Miami Beach, and the surrounding area from the ship was a weird, though “good,”
feeling. I did get to see these
views early in the morning, during breakfast; however, since we rehearsed
nearly all day, it wasn’t until after dark that I had the opportunity to take
any photos. And, because we were
back in rehearsal in the evening, I wasn’t able to be up on the deck for the
7pm sail. Alas, I am still loving
the work and thrilled to be here . . . it sure beats sitting in a cubicle under
fluorescent lighting for 8 hours a day.
We began our tech rehearsal around 10:30am, a bit after it
was scheduled, but somehow, even with a half hour lunch break, we were finished
at 3:20pm . . . and we were scheduled to go until 4pm! HUH?!?!?! How’d that happen?!?!?
I don’t know, but it sure put my mind at ease. I am confident, as appears to be the rest of the staff, that
the show will be ready to open at 7pm tomorrow night . . . this is not
something anyone felt 48 hours ago, but our cruise director graciously moved
the opening of the show to Saturday (from the originally scheduled Friday), and
we’ll now be able to safely, and with artistic integrity, provide the
passengers a strong production of BOLLYWOOD.